Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Book's on Audible & Why it's Weird!!

My latest release, RISE OF HOPE was just released on Audible. I knew they'd selected it for audio of course, but when that happens, the author really is given no idea when it might come out. Considering some of the specific words in my book, I thought they may reach out to me for pronunciations. I was told they might. I'd be waiting, wondering, thinking there'd been some mistake, that they'd changed their minds. Nope LOL. It's just suddenly out there. And it's totally weird. I listened to a sample yesterday. And I could only listen to about two minutes before I had to shut it off. Why? Well:
  • I can't tell you how strange it is listening to another voice read my words back to me. I mean, up to this point, the only time I've heard my book is in my own head!
  • The narrator is a woman and for the short part I listened to, did a really good job. BUT she reads it at a different pace than I do. And has a different accent to me. Double weird!
  • It made me realize, there are people out there who have read my books. This may be a "duh" and I know this intellectually, but this is real, hard, solid evidence. This women obviously spent a LOT of time with my book and my words.
  • It gave me goosebumps, in a "this is so cool and neat but weird and I'm sorta freaked out" way. Hey, I'm a writer. No better way to describe it LOL.
Perhaps it just me, but it's a rather surreal experience. I'm not sure how many people out there really buy and listen to audio books (I hope it's a lot), but it really is something freakin' COOL!

If you'd like to listen to a sample, it's up here at Amazon. I'm out of the country at the moment and for some reason, can't see it directly on Audible, but people have let me know it's there. Or here :). If you do listen or do buy it as an audio book, I'd love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Gah!! That's awesome, Kaily! I'm totally downloading it. I just listened to the sample and you're right--she definitely speaks a little slower than I read, but she's got a great narrative voice. I love audio books and I'm addicted to them.

    ReplyDelete