Monday, February 21, 2011

The WIP is well underway

I had a little bit of a slow start to this WIP. I had to spend some time getting to know the characters first. For me, if I know who they are, the story flows. I've made great progress on the story this weekend which is unusual. I typically write more "new" words during the week and tweak over the weekend. Yes, I work every day on something writing related :). I also don't have a title for this one yet. Another difference. By now I've usually settled on a title and I'm tying the theme into the book. This one, I'm kinda still waiting for it to hit me. I have to say, I like it when I know there's a surprise in store for me. So...I thought I'd share a couple of quick snippets from the WIP. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, but that's how I write. I call it writing 'all over the book'. I have something sitting in every chapter, every scene. Description, dialogue, scene outlines, it's all in there. Jumbled. I kind of do a mind dump of everything I know is going to happen, roughly in the sequence it'll occur and then when I'm ready, I go back and actually 'write' it. Some scenes are more 'written' currently than others, but I thought I'd pull out a couple of favorite parts of mine so far. I'm really enjoying the sparks that fly between Nash and Lexi! ENJOY!

     “What’s your name?”
     She lifted her chin ever so slightly. “Alexis. My friends call me Lexi. You? You can call me Alexis.”
     Ouch.



      “You tattooed a guy’s name on your ass,” Nash breathed.
      “No. I paid someone else to do it. And it’s not on my ass. It’s on my hip.”
      “Just have to wonder about your judgment.”
      “Yeah? Well my judgment’s been known to suck. I’m here with you aren’t I?”

I'm thinking about posting a snippet from whatever page I'm working on from my WIP each Wednesday on the blog. Good idea? Not?

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Love the snippets! Lots of fun. Nash is a really great name too :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and nice dialogue going on there. I enjoyed it very much.

    I do know what you mean. I jump around while writing and like I've said, I do need to know my characters and a bit of their plot before I even start to write.

    (I have an excerpt up on my blog right now too-- Mine kind of ties into the research on solar flares I blogged about for this next book.)

    ReplyDelete