Monday, September 12, 2011

Mens Underwear

I think about weird things sometimes. I do. Perhaps that's a characteristic of being a writer. Perhaps it's even a pre-requisite. Just like I'm not sure where some of my ideas come from, I also don't know where these thoughts originate. Usually I keep them to myself. It's probably better that way--trust me--but today I've been thinking on something that I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts on. You see, I was at a birthday party over the weekend where a woman was talking about her husband and the fact that he just changed from wearing boxers to briefs. Firstly, I didn't think guys just woke up one morning and did that but the mind boggled because it really got me thinking about underwear--men's underwear. Of course, I think about men's underwear a lot, all in the name of research, you know :). Today the hero and heroine in my current WIP are about to 'do it' for the first time and I have to decide how the hero 'packages' himself. It's got a lot to do with who he is and his background, but I wonder how readers perceive these things.

So...as a reader do YOU have a preference around men's underwear in books? Boxers, briefs, colors? Nothing at all? Anything that turns you off when you're reading about men's underwear?

And while you're pondering that, I thought I'd show you the inspiration picture I've been using for my current WIP. Meet Seth. He's tough and intense. He hasn't known a lot of kindness or softness in his life and he's been trying to ignore who he really is for most of it. Not very successfully, I might add. I've enjoyed writing him so far! Oh, and what do you know? He goes for black briefs!

6 comments:

  1. To me - there's something sexy about boxer briefs. The way they cling, outlinging the package but also part of their thighs... *sigh* idk - I just find those sexier than plain old briefs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie, I'm with you. They were exactly the kind my hero from PAY UP wore. Great compromise, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it just depends on the character and how well he pulls off whatever he's wearing. You can take that both ways, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a boxer briefs girl too. They seem to be that perfect mix of support and ass hugging. LOL.

    Also I'm with you on the being surprised by an adult switching from boxers to briefs overnight! I've heard of men switching from briefs to boxers for fertility issues but not the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rula, okay the mind is wandering after that comment!

    Lolita, I thought it odd myself. Perhaps he's going through a mid-life crisis. And yep, I'm with you on the boxer briefs. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew boxer briefs were sexy? I just think they're comfy!

    ReplyDelete