Monday, February 15, 2010

I'm a PRO!

That's RWA-PRO of course! I remember attending RWA Nationals last year with my 'first timer' ribbon (a big neon sign that said 'newbie') and seeing all the others with PRO and PAN ribbons. I kind of wanted to blend in and it made me feel conspicuous, to say the least. A good thing came of it though. It was a conversation starter for fellow newbies and I met another wonderful aspiring author. She had the guts to talk to me first! I really had no idea of all of the designations at the time, but swore by the following years conference, I would at least step on up to the next level. Of course, there were some hurdles - the major one being the controversy around Harlequin's status in RWAs eyes as an eligible publisher. Man, I'm glad all that was figured out and common sense prevailed! And of course, I had to complete a full manuscript, have it requested and send it off! I made it though! And now? It's early days. I've looked at the information on the RWA site, I've requested access to the PRO loop, I know there is a PRO retreat at the Nashville conference and that PRO members get priority for securing editor/agent appointments at the event. That's all good. Right? For the rest, I'm not certain, but it sure felt great to achieve such a tangible goal on this journey. That doesn't happen all that often. And now I'll have a PRO ribbon to wear in Nashville. It's silly I know, but wearing that ribbon will sort of make me feel like I belong there this year.

11 comments:

  1. Yay for you! We don't have that kind of thing in the RWNZ, but then we're a way smaller group. Do you get ribbons for each rejection then? Badges of honour man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your PRO status!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaily!
    Congrats on your PRO status! I'm a pro too. Haven't been to nationals yet. Maybe this year. Re: your post I'm Ruined...I know exactly how you feel. Since I've been writing seriously, I'm much more critical of what I read.

    Good luck with your writing goals for February and beyond! If I get up the nerve to go to nationals, maybe we'll meet up at the PRO retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each step feels good, doesn't it? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! It will be so much fun for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Kaily! I saw your message on the PRO loop and decided to visit your blog. I'm going to be attending RWA this year as well for the first time. I'm excited about it. I read your "I'm ruined..." post, and I agree that things that wouldn't have bothered me prior to writing seriously now steal my enthusiasm when I'm reading some books. The book I'm reading now is that way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks so much everyone for the wishes!
    Jackie - ribbons for rejections? I shudder to think. I could too easily envision a scenario in 5 years attending nationals, struggling to walk with the weight of my ribbons hanging from my badge.
    Bethanne - thanks so much!
    Wendy - thank you. I hope you make it to Nashville. I would love to catch up with other PROs! Best for your writing.
    Helen - it sure is nice to be able to measure something that has some substance.
    Kaye - thanks. I guess you can tell I'm super excited.
    Sarah - thanks for stopping by. I'll get to meet you at the PRO retreat then! Very cool. Yeah, I'm not sure I'll ever really get over the reading thing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Kaily!!

    COngrats!! I think that is wonderful news! I know exactly how you feel about wanting to have your place in the crowd. I've got awhile before I'll be able to apply for PRO, but at least I know when I do get to a conference, I'll have some peeps to hang with.--well as long as a newbie doesn't cramp their style! LOL

    I'll do my damnest to make that 'newbie ribbon' look cool. LOL Maybe bedazzle it! Too funny!

    The soonest I'll be able to get to Nat'ls would be in 2012. I think it's in San Diego. With my small kiddos, I'm kinda stuck for awhile. Oh well, gives me time to work on my status. *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Kaily! That's great! I considered applying for PRO status but never got around to it. Sounds like it's a pretty cool designation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah - would love to hang with you at a conference!
    Cari - it was easier than I thought to do the application. Still feeling my way on the RWA-PRO loop.
    Lacey - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete