Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I changed the description on my blog...

It used to say 'on the way to becoming a romance writer'. It suddenly hit me today. It was a smack the forehead moment. Jeez, I already AM a romance writer. I'm just not published yet. I've written several full length manuscripts. One a publisher is interested in. The others? They might collect dust for all eternity but they served a purpose. The proved I could write a novel, a full length romance novel and it taught me a whole hell of a lot about the craft and process of writing. Between my second last manuscript and the one I am currently editing I found my 'voice'. This is that thing that everyone talks about and no-one can really explain very well. As soon as I read some of my older work it just didn't sound like me anymore. I had found the way to write that sounded distinctly like me. I found my groove and it feels so good. I know the way I write and I know my style. I hope someday I'll have readers who like it too! So, now my blog description reads 'on the way to becoming a romance author'.

8 comments:

  1. Absotlutely true, Kaily! If you've written a book you're an author even if you haven't been published. Yet. ;-) Great re your voice too. I was lucky in that I got feedback about the category best suitable for my voice when I subbed for the first time and that has helped tremendously in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Jackie...you're definitely an author! And I recently came to the same realization about my voice, after I did some thinking about why I suddenly liked a lot of what I was writing. It was because I'd finally found my authentic voice. Makes such a difference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I can go so far as to think of myself as an 'author' just yet. Hey, I just got the 'writer' part yesterday! Maybe my blog description should be 'on the way to becoming a published author in the romance genre'. Nah, too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are a writer! And I'm so glad you found your voice. You're right -- no one can quite define the concept but we all know what it is. Congratulations on winning my contest! I'll get your package out asap. And thanks for linking to my blog! I'll be glad to return the favor.

    H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaily! I'm so glad you found your voice. It is one of those mysterious things isn't it? And I do like your new description on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great discovery Kaily ! We are writer's already, aren't we :) Makes us feel good !

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, as you see my from earlier 'deleted' post, I did keep myself as "aspiring author" and removed it decided, I'll add it back after I complete one MS ! And hopefully during NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete