Friday, October 22, 2010

I was Attacked by Pirates

It was bound to happen. I've been expecting it. Well, sort of. I told myself in a way it would be a form of flattery--that someone would actually go to those lengths to get a hold of a book I'd written. I also thought I'd simply shrug it off as part of the changing industry we're in at the moment. I thought I was prepared for it, but I wasn't.

My new book, PAY UP is on at least 2 download sites for FREE. It's only been out a week! Of course, we're going through the steps to get these taken down, but I can't help the way I feel. I used the word 'attack' in the title and that's what it feels like. An author at the recent RomantiCon conference said she detemined there had been over 8,000 downloads of one of her books on these sites. That's absolutley astounding. I'm sure there are people out there that don't think their actions through fully, think they're not really hurting anyone, may not even know this is illegal. It's stealing though, plain and simple. It's hard work to create a book and have it published through a reputable publisher. It's an investment, both financial and personal. It's often the result of great sacrifice. It takes guts and sweat and a discipline you have to pull from the very depths of you and it feels like someone is trying to take that away from me.

I've been e-pirated and I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no, Kaily. I'm so, so sorry that you're having to deal with this. On top of financial theft, I bet having to deal with it all is stealing your time and energy. I hope your novella gets off their sites quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AS one whose been priated too, it sucks big green ogre balls. Sadly, the even worse part, is that for every one you get taken down, there is a waiting list of not nice people who are happily waiting to ptu it back up. I've had every single one of my titles pirated and it makes me mad, but, as i saw within the space of an hour, one was taken down and another person put it right back up. They think they aren't hurting anything because it's like going to the library. If you go to the library, you are the only one with that book. Once you take it back, you don't have it anymore. With digital, you can have a copy of it forever and that sucks.

    I feel your pain. **Sigh** and I'm sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, we've all been there. I've seen requests for my work on sites, too -- just waiting for someone to offer it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry, Kaily! It's a shame there isn't more that could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rula, I didn't let it disturb my time too much. It's just...disappointing in a way.

    Hi Wendi, yeah it seems to be a big issue and not one that has any simple or immediate solutions. I don't think there's be any doubt that if someone took a book from a library, photocopied it and handed it around, that it would be wrong. Thanks!

    Helen, I guess it's part of the publishing world. Unfortunately.

    Hi Wendy! Hopefully, there'll be something to address this sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear, that stinks. You work hard and it's not right to have that work stolen. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wrong! Many of us are on a budget and have to watch how many book we buy. I admit I am a reading junky, but there is NO reason to steal/pirate books! There are so many REAL free reads out there for anyone who wants them! And lots of contests if there is a special book someone is looking for. And if all else fails, go to the library! Really, stealing/pirating is just so not necessary!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kaily that sucks! i hope you get them stopped!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dreama/Victoria/Kerrin, thanks for the support! It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete